Thursday, September 16, 2010

afternoon excursion - 12.9.10

Saturday evening I continued my wanderings over to Tesco, a fantastic grocery and department store on the border between Old Town and New Town. I bought a bunch of groceries and supplies such as dish detergent, plates, forks, spoons etc and spent about $30. Great success!

Sunday was another beautiful day. We set out with the intention of renting bikes but then we realized that it was one of the last few days that one could call "boat weather" in Prague. So I walked down the river with my friends Mike and Ari and we rented a row boat on the Charles River at a very reasonable rate-- 200 K for two hours, which we split into thirds.

View of the Charles Bridge from the point at which we entered the water. The waterfall kept us from floating too far downstream and stealing the boat; a small waterfall upstream served the same purpose. 


Being on the river is not only a relaxing experience for the novelty of it, or because of the fact that one is physically closer to "nature". Being surrounded by the beauty of the city was a key part of this experience.

National Theater




The "dancing building"; also known as the Ginger and Fred building, designed by Frank Gehry. The building as you see clashes with the surrounding architecture in its attempt to replicate the silhouette of the famous pair.






When our time was just about up, the sun was shining brilliantly with a cozy late-afternoon warmth and causing mist to rise from the surface of the river:




It was so pretty! As usual, I kept sighing and saying, "Isn't this great guys?" and "I'm so happy right now." After the first few times my kamarady (czech for 'friends'-plural) began rolling their eyes and laughing at me but I couldn't help but continue to announce my happiness. I'm sure the river and skyline were happy to be appreciated, at any rate. 

When we got off the boat we went to find a nice spot for dinner, and did we ever! Reasonably priced and almost completely local, we found a small cafe whose menu caters to vegetarians, vegans etc and has free wifi! I will almost certainly be returning.

When we got back, Mike and I did our laundry. Some said it would be a hassle but I did a small load so it was no problem at all. Others claimed that it took three hours for their clothing to dry, and it took Mike a long time as well. There are many rumors of terror going around about the laundry room, but it is just another cultural difference that we must overcome. 

Chau!






No comments:

Post a Comment