Tuesday, September 7, 2010

from frankfurt international airport - 6.9.10

I'm waiting in the airport in Frankfurt having just enjoyed my first authentic cup of European coffee since London a few years ago. It cost $5 (2.75 E) but was (is) worth it.
Coming through security here I noticed many American passports clutched by falsely blonde women and rotund men with Southern drawls. At least the airport staff addressed me in German so I guess I looked authentically German? Anyway, I got the gist of what was being said and I was happy.

The flight was smooth but if I hadn't arrived so early at Newark there would have been problems. Talk about getting the run-around! I was booked on United Airlines but it turns out they don't fly to Frankfurt and that despite what my itinerary claimed I was flying Continental. Of course it was in a different terminal so it's a good thing my father drove me and hadn't left. In Newark and here I'm hearing about and seeing STAR ALLIANCE everywhere. From what I can tell many airlines have joined together and are sharing aircraft--I wonder what percentage of my flight cost was paid to each?
My mother intelligently suggested requesting a row or aisle seat at the gate though I had been offered that option at the automatic check-in and there were only center seats available. Lo and behold I got an aisle seat. What a blessing! I took half of a Valium before I got on the plane but still only slept for about two hours on the plane. Now I'm WIDE AWAKE! Not only because of the coffee but also due to my excitement regarding my imminent arrival. I read the Times but have not finished the main section, magazine, or Week in Review because I watched an awesome movie over my Bombay and Seagrams on the way here: Daddy's Little Dividend, starring Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor. They also starred in the original Father of the Bride (which I haven't seen) and this is the original sequel.


There are many young people waiting for this flight to Prague. It doesn't board fro another hour and its about an hour long. I wonder if any of them are in my program. One girl was on my plane from New York but didn't seem overly friendly. I guess I will see when we arrive!

Here are some photos from the plane:


and here is Prague as I was approaching:




It's quite rural-seeming, I think because it was closed to development for so long. Prague is a pretty small city: just the right size to get to know in just a little more than three months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment